The National art gallery (Nacionalin dails galerija) comes back to Vilnius again. Solemn ceremony of its opening takes place on the 20th of June. In this new gallery the collection of arts of the XX and XXI centuries will be presented.
46 thousand objects it will be exhibited in a permanent exposition. The involved objects have been created by the Lithuanian artists since 1900.
The National gallery of arts has taken up residence in the building of the former Museum of Revolution which has been under reconstruction since 1999, and now is opened for visitors. The total area of an exhibition takes 10 000 square meters, 2200 square meters of which are allocated to a permanent exposition. For carrying out of different thematic exhibitions the big showroom is allocated the area of which is 1100 square meters.
The main mission of National art gallery is the presentation of the Lithuanian art development within the XX century which includes its politico-social aspects in a regional and international context. The given mission will be reflected both in a permanent exposition, and in thematic exhibitions, various conferences, seminars, programs of the scientific literature publications.
The main supervisor of National art gallery, Lolita Jablonskiene by name, has commented the returning of the National gallery in the following way: “Opening of the National art gallery, the first Lithuanian art-institution completely equipped by the modern museum facilities, creates the conditions for the exhibition boom in Lithuania. The citizens of Vilnius for the first time will have an opportunity to see with their own eyes the works of such artists, as Edvard Munch and František Kupka”.
In the territory of gallery, on the bank of the river Nyaris, the park of sculptures is situated, and two liquid crystal screens are established as well to display video-art.
The National art gallery will fling the door open for two exhibitions at once: “The Lithuanian art of XX century” and “Dialogues of colors and sounds. The creative work of Mikalojus Konstantinas ─îiurlionis and his contemporaries”.